Thursday, May 04, 2006

Munich and Other Stories

I have a special memory about Munich. Back in 1968, sooooo long ago. I was almost 6 years old, then. My two younger sisters and I were left at a hotel room in Munich. I have no idea how long we have been left there. Maybe we felt asleep that afternoon, that our parents didn't wake us up. They went shopping. However, we kept calm realizing our parents weren't with us. When our parents got back to the hotel, they brought us dresses. I've got a pale blue gorgeous dress. It was the most beautiful dress I have ever had in life. (Too bad, I wore the dress only for several times for it's a 'party' dress.) That's how I remember Munich.

Now, Munich comes into a movie. It's not about Munich at all, although the backgorund of the story was a tragedy in the 1972 Olympic in Munich, where Israeli athletes were taken as hostages by some Palestinians. All the athletes were dead. This is a film about revenge. It was said that 9 of 11 Palestinians involved in the attack were killed by the operation.

Another story is Monsoon Wedding by Mira Nair. It's an interesting movie about the upcoming wedding ceremony in Delhi, India. The big family came from around the globe to celebrate the wedding. There were family problems, too; settled one by one. I didn't watch many India (or related to India) movies, only Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (a bollywood movie) and Bend It Like Beckham (also about an upcoming wedding ceremony of India families in England). Somehow, Monsoon Wedding reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, that wedding is important and the whole big family gather to celebrate the event. People are the same after all.

We (Endra and me) watched Zatoichi and New Zatoichi, a film (and a remake film) about a blind master swordsman who live by gambling and giving massages. I prefer Zatoichi for it has more classical taste and sometimes funny.

Pile of DVDs to watch, among others are My Left Foot, Truman Capote, [Good Night, and Good Luck.], The Constant Gardener and Brokeback Mountain, not to mention Endra's choices. I have VCDs waiting to watch, too: Tintin series and some Charlie Chaplin's films. So many movies, so many books, so little time. *sigh*

About Brokeback Mountain, I searched the book at Kinokuniya Bookstore at PIM2, but I couldn't afford the price. Too expensive (more than Rp 100,000 for a thin book, while the Indonesian translation is only about Rp 25,000). Knowing that I searched the book, Endra bought me the DVD while coming home from work the next day. Thank you 'Ndra. How sweet of you. That's my Endra ♡.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home