Friday, May 12, 2006

Ovum Pick-Up (OPU) & Embryo Transfer (ET)

In mid February 2006, we (Endra and I) joined the 'Melati' Program at 'Harapan Kita' Hospital, a fertility clinic at the hospital. After a series of examination, the doctor advised us to take on the 'Natural Cycle' procedure, a kind of assisted reproductive technology. And we agreed. However, the April cycle was canceled.

Last Sunday, May 7, 2006, in accordance with the procedure, we visited the doctor at the hospital; and we were told to have an OPU measure on Tuesday, May 9, 2006. Then, if the ovum became embryo, an ET measure would be taken on Thursday, May 11, 2006.

Sunday night, I should have a hormonal check and a hormonal injection. Monday morning, again I had a hormonal check. At 10 pm I had to start fasting. Tuesday morning at 7.00 am, we should be at the hospital. There were 3 patients (including me) who would have an OPU. The OPU procedure only took 30 minutes. A little pain, of course, but bearable. The doctor got 2 ovums out of me.

Alhamdulillaah, 1 ovum developed into an embryo. It was a happy moment when the doctor showed us the picture of the divided cell. The embryo, then, was transfered to inside my womb yesterday. We (all 4 women who had ET) had to lie down for a while after the measure.

Will the embryo implant itself inside the uterus? Will I get pregnant? Will it continue to develop into a healthy fetus and can be delivered as a healthy baby? It's still a looooooong way to have a baby. But so far, Endra and I thank God for all His gifts to us and our family. Ya Allah, alhamdulillaah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home